Thursday, January 2, 2014

So Long, 2013

For some odd reason, from the very get-go of last year, I wanted to call it 2014.  While I normally make the January mistake of writing checks with the previous year in the date line, this time I tended to skip ahead.  Strange.  Well, I'm glad I stuck around for 2013.  Like every year, we had our ups and downs.  But, overall, it was good.  Very good.

Here are my top 10 'ups' of  the last 12 months:

1). Big revelations in parenting of our adopted child.  We got some outside help to deal with a few things - good decision.  With prayer, time, and the guidance of some objective professionals, we've seen improved behavior. Thanks be to God.

2)Baby.  Such a joyful child.  From his first birthday to his first steps, he is such a bright spot in the life of our family.  Oh yes, and better not forget his crazy mullet to big boy haircut transition.  Momentous.  It might be time to update his blog name....

3)ballet.  Yes, our girls are dancers and have had a busy, sometimes grueling, year of participation in their art.  There have been both rewards and disappointments, and opportunities for Grace in both.  For me, after years of longing to do so, and with the help of my dear husband to make it work, I've returned to classes myself.  My feet complain a bit, but the rest of me is super happy.

4)Sacraments.  Kid118 made his First Holy Communion in May.  His Godparents were able to make the trip.  Grandma and Pada were out of the country, so we compensated by inviting lots of friends.   What a fun and happy day.  There is not much I love more than baptisms, first confessions, first communions.  And, of course, every opportunity to return to these sacraments is a gift.  Love my Catholic faith and sharing it with my kids.

5)Two family vacations in which we thoroughly enjoyed each others' company, avoided major catastrophe (unless you count horrible traffic jams), and brought home all our phone/device chargers. Success!!

6)homeschooling.  I am grateful we are free to educate our kids at home and am praying we may continue to enjoy this basic right.  Definitely had some some struggles with cooperation (of one particular child who shall remain nameless), but we finished strong.  It always makes me laugh when parents say,' I could never homeschool because my child wouldn't listen to me.'. Well, you could work through that.  Trust me.

7)Big van.  We made the leap to a 12 seater (minus 2 seats to make room for the wheelchair).  I love having the space for extra people and extra elbow room for our own kids, especially on long trips.  We have measured major reductions in the oh-so-pleasant phrase, 'stop touching me!'

8)Friends.  We are blessed.  We have dear friends near and far who make sacrifices to keep in touch and visit.  Always a pleasure and a reminder that God cares about the relationships we have in this life.

9)Family.  Parents, siblings, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles, cousins, all who go out of their way to show their support for us in so many ways.  We love all of you.  We are especially grateful to have celebrated my in-laws' 50th wedding anniversary with family from all over the world.

10)Ok, this might seem lame, but the back room of our basement is organized!  My mom came over and helped me - thank you, Mom! - and every time I walk into that storage area, it makes me happy.

As we move into 2014, I pray you will find joy in the big and little events of your life, and that you will know God's love even more every day, regardless of the circumstances.  Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. Love that you're celebrating 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post, Anne! Needed that tonight! Love you
    Shan

    ReplyDelete