In approximately 24 hours, I'm turning 40. The funny thing is, I'm really ok with that. In fact, I'm almost proud of it.
Do I love the fact that shedding baby pounds is a whole lot harder than it was 11 years ago? Not really. Am I a huge fan of gray hair? Not entirely. But these things come along naturally, and along with them, you get maturity and wisdom.
I do not mean to imply that I know it all or that I have reached a pinnacle of personal development. Certainly not. But when I look back at my 20-year-old self, I can definitely say, "you've come a long way, baby!"
So, yes I'm a bit more squishy, achy, and wrinkly than I was then, but I'll gladly accept these effects of aging as a trade off for all the gifts of marriage and motherhood, not to mention that I'm a whole lot smarter now than I was back then.
Here are some of the things I've learned ( these are probably no-brainers to most folks, but I'm a little slow):
-there are always 2 sides to a story.
-there's nothing wrong with drinking a glass of wine every night.
-humor often works better than anger, especially with kids.
-reading books aloud with the kids covers a multitude of parental missteps, especially if done while snuggling on the couch.
-exercise is important for more reasons than just looking good.
-education is about much more than report cards and test scores.
-the saints in heaven really can be great friends.
-it's ok to fake a cheerful disposition. It's also ok to cry. It's not so ok to have temper tantrums.
-sleep is vital.
On that note, I realize it's almost midnight and time for bed.
I'm planning to celebrate my birthday all week, so I'll try to document all the fun I intend to have.
Happy Birthday to my birthday buddy! At least your not turning 43! But, I have learned alot as well. I am praying for you on our special day.
ReplyDeleteAnd to you Sister and Anne!! I love you both!!! Happy Birthday! We are keeping you young in our celebrations by having John Paul's 7th birthday today...LEGO style!
ReplyDelete