Monday, January 7, 2013

Resolution

It's been over a year since the 'upgrades' in Catholic Mass responses for the English-speaking world went into effect.  Really, these were just improvements on the first translation and have added beauty and meaning to the Mass. 

I, I'm sad to admit, still don't know them well.  This became glaringly apparent at a Mass I attended with the kids last week.

Each year, our homeschooling group attends a daily mass at our local Catholic retirement community after which we sing carols.  I love this event because I love older folks, and also because it is so touching to see many retired priests, in various stages of failing health, celebrating mass together.  Even the priests who can no longer speak the words are dressed in vestments and seated in the front row.  It's a poignant example of dignity and respect for the priestly vocation that we try hard not to miss. 

There is one priest in particular that makes me smile.  He must be approaching 90 years of age, at least.  He is the first man present in the chapel.  He leads the rosary with clarity and, shall we say, volume.  Although he is no longer the main celebrant, each word he speaks of the liturgy is loud and clear and enthusiastic. 

And he knows every single new Mass part perfectly, without hesitation, without reference to a cheat sheet. 

And he put me to shame. 

I could be wrong, but I"m guessing simply by the 50 years of age he has on me that his memory isn't as good as mine. 

Therefore,  I hearby resolove that by the time my 2nd grader makes his first Holy Communion in May, I, along with my children, will know the new responses by heart. 

St. John the Baptist, patron of our little homeschool, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment